Roofing mastic has been a popular material for many years. Bituminous composition is applied without difficulty, creating a uniform monolithic layer. To perform work with him, a minimum number of tools are required.
Basic properties of the material
The basis of the mastic is bitumen. It is added various components to give the necessary characteristics. This is a black liquid mass with a sharp odor. For its uniform distribution over the surface, use a brush or roller. If the roof needs repair, the mastic treats only the damaged areas.
In warm weather, when it does not rain outside, a layer of mastic freezes overnight. Most often it is applied several times, thoroughly drying each previous layer. The result is a wear-resistant coating with a thickness of about 6 mm. It has sufficient elasticity and resistance to mechanical influences. Such roofing material is not afraid of frost, it is moisture resistant. The commercial roofing in charlotte nc happens to be essential there.
Varieties of roofing mastics
Mastic bitumen is divided into:
- roofing polymer – long stored, forms a durable coating with good elasticity and heat resistance, suitable for metal, concrete surfaces and wood;
- roofing bitumen-latex – quickly dries, withstands high temperature, does not leak water, is not afraid of ultraviolet, has good adhesion to any kind of roof;
- Rubber bitumen – allows you to create a basic monolithic layer or provide excellent insulation, not suitable for partial repair work.
All mastics are divided into one- and two-component. The first can be used immediately for the intended purpose, while the latter need preliminary preparation. The components are mixed in the correct proportions and only after this the resulting composition is applied to the surface. To ensure good waterproofing, it is better to choose two-component mastic.
On sale it is possible to find bitumen mastic of tens manufacturers. Different types of roofing material are almost identical and have a similar composition. But some manufacturers should be highlighted especially since they are time-tested.
This company offers the following roofing materials:
When choosing mastic, you need to consider the conditions under which the roof treatment will be carried out. For repair work on individual sites or the creation of a partial waterproofing layer, the bitumen-latex composition having good flow ability and elasticity is most suitable. Such mastic will fill small irregularities and will allow receiving a smooth and equal surface.
- The composition based on rubber and bitumen has similar characteristics, but it is more suitable for creating a single layer or waterproofing roof elements, for example, the rims.
- Polymer bituminous masses are used for roof construction, which will be used to move in the future. They have sufficient strength and durability.
To repair the roof of the garage, the usual cheap tar or bitumen mastic will do. In this case, the price of the composition is crucial. If there is no experience with mastic, it is better to use a one-component formulation. It’s easier to apply. Professionals are more suitable for two-component mastic.